27 February 2006

Givin' it all away?

So we're making this new comic, but unfortunately for you, reader, I refuse to share any details at this time.

I see loads of BLOGS out there (I emphasize that because I still think it's a dumb word) where artists literally post EVERY SINGLE STEP of their progress on a certain project. You see production blogs that give away everything - techniques, secrets, all that behind-the-scenes crap. And to those out there who do that, good for you and thanks for sharing! I still thoroughly enjoy reading up on the process of your creations.

I, on the other hand, wish to keep certain work TOP SECRET until completion. So you won't be seeing much of that stuff. If you go to my studio's site, you'll see that we have next to nothing about our animated short... with the exception of some tiny cropped pictures in the gallery section. Sure, we could post storyboards, various sketches of characters, animation tests, backgrounds, concepts and plots, etc. Then what? There's no mystery left!

With this attitude you may call me a stickler, miser, whatever... BUT THIS IS OUR PRIDE AND JOY. We can keep it all to ourselves if we want, until it's all done. Just because the Internet allows people to share things instantaneously across the globe, doesn't mean they HAVE to. It's overload sometimes, you know? I'd like to keep some of the magic. A guy doesn't always need to have a step-by-step analysis of my character development, or something of that nature. At least not right now. Wait until AFTER I'm done with a cartoon, then maybe I'll share SOME of my tricks. Not all, some!

I'm still going to post plenty of funny pictures and drawings for all to see... things I PREFER to share with everyone out there! That's different. But for my very own productions that take months and months of hard work, you'll just have to wait. Take that cake out of the oven too early, and you'll end up with a big pile of German chocolate MUSH!!! Is that a good analogy? IT IS FOR ME, CAKEY!!!

4 comments:

John Rozum said...

I'm with you on the mystery. I have a few projects going right now that I'm dying to share, but am waiting until they are all finished and available to see in their entirety. Teasing with an image here or there is one thing, but you don't want someone to get bored by your project before it's completed.

Trevour said...

Thanks again for commenting! It's great to hear from somebody working in the biz!!! Very inspiring! Speaking of which, how did you find my blog anyway? It's brand-new!

John Rozum said...

I do occassional blog searches of topics I'm interested in, or are pertinent to what I'm currently working on. A search of "Hanna-Barbera" brought me to you. i liked your art, your insights, and the overall design of your site, and couldn't resist.

Trevour said...

That search is really good then, since I've only been on here for like a week. You've gained yourself a new fan - I'm definitely gonna check out all of your stuff!