04 June 2007

Ventriloquist Cat ringtone

One of my all-time favorite animated shorts is Tex Avery's Ventriloquist Cat (MGM - 1950). To me, the short is a quintessential cartoon: laugh-out-loud drawings, successive gags at a great pace, and a funny premise (black cat pisses off bulldog, bulldog chases cat, cat finds 'throw your voice' trick device, cat throws voice to confuse slow-witted bulldog, hilarity ensues).

(image courtesy of bcdb.com)

Many would probably agree with me, though, that the FUNNIEST aspect of this whole cartoon is the sound of the cat's ventriloquist voice! The duck-like "meow meow" is voiced by none other than Clarence Nash, best known as the original voice of Donald Duck Harry E. Lang! I've probably seen this cartoon a hundred times since childhood, and I still find myself laughing every time I hear that meow.

When I got a new cellphone last month, I discovered that I could copy my own sounds to it (thanks to this program)! So... what did I do? Yes, I did it. I recorded the "ventriloquist cat meow" and copied the sound file directly to my phone! Let me tell you, it sure makes getting a call a lot more fun. It's as if the cat is nearby, throwing his voice to my pocket. I admit a few people have given me strange looks - hmph, they just don't recognize a good cartoon sound effect when they hear it. Even IF it's audible from my pants.

Now I just gotta watch out for Spike, in case he tries to rip my clothes off! No worries, I'll just rip his hide off in return.

Here is the audio file in case you wanna try!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

The audio file is not available..could you please look into posting this? Do you know if this cartoon is available on DVD somewhere? I LOVE THIS CARTOON! It's hilarious!!!

Trevour said...

Sorry, that link was outdated! I fixed it - it should be available now.

As for a Tex Avery DVD release, check out this Lyris post from May!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this. My friend and I just spent all night looking for this cartoon. Thank you so much, you just made my day!!!!

Anonymous said...

this is one of my brother's and my favorite little inside jokes to say to each other - "meow, meow." thanks for finding it and passing it along!

Christopher Gaizat said...

My brother and I thought this was the funniest cartoon we have ever seen and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for the ringtone! He's going to lose it when he hears it.