In celebration of the 10th Anniversary of U2's 1997-98 POPMART (which launched in April '97 in Las Vegas) I decided on making a nice Popmart-like illustration. I happened to see Popmart when U2 came through Minneapolis later that fall. Thinking back to that night, all I can say is... HOLY CRAP was that an amazing concert!!! It's definitely one of the best shows (and live events!) I've ever attended.
I was thinking maybe doing this in acrylic/airbrush/colored pencil on illustration board. I don't know how I'm gonna draw it yet, but what you see above is my first sloppy roughed out sketch to get the ideas rollin'. I added a bit of digital color to experiment further. Should I place the Popmart stage in the center, and draw the 4 members around it? Kinda like how I have Bono and The Edge up there. Or should I focus on an actual stage shot, and flair it up that way? Any U2 fans out there got any ideas?
(P.S. Yes, I know MacPhisto Bono up there was from the Zoo TV era... I just drew him because it was fun!)







2 comments:
ahaha i like the crazy colors and the front on bono with his mouth open. nice work!
Thanks David - I'm gonna try posting the finished product sometime soon.
Post a Comment